The City of Johannesburg is required by the Department of Water and Sanitation to reduce its water usage by 15% with immediate effect, as water levels at our source (Integrated Vaal River System) have dropped to alarming levels.
This mandatory mitigation measure on water usage has been triggered by on-going drought and unusual warmer conditions.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE SMS SERVICE:
Joburg Water sends sms direct to targeted residents where their database makes this possible. For example, when a reservoir is running dry residents are requested by sms to choke back demand.
- Joburg Water Call Centre line – 011 375 5555
- Follow us on Twitter at jhbwaterjwater
- SMS Line : 082 653 2143
Interventions in place to help reduce high water usage:
Level-2 water use restrictions according to section 44 (3) of the Water Services By-law states that consumers are compelled:
• Not to water their garden between 06:00 and 18:00;
• Not to use irrigation systems, only a hand held hose or bucket is permitted during watering times;
• Not to fill swimming pools with municipal water; and
• Not to use hosepipes to wash their cars or to clean paved areas and driveways with water.
The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) will issue fines for non-compliance. Residents can report on non-compliance by phoning their 24/7 line 011 758 9650